On Saturday we celebrated with our great friends, Peter and Jessie, who are about to have their second child, a little baby girl! I made one of my favorite cakes, a pink cranberry cake with white chocolate ganache frosting. It is as sweet as it is adorable!
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 1/3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups salted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
White Chocolate Icing
12 oz white chocolate chips
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
8-9 cups powdered sugar
1. Bring 1 cup sugar and water to a simmer in a saucepan. Simmer until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Pour simple syrup into a heatproof bowl and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
3. Add cranberries and stir to coat. Let sit for an hour.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three 8 inch cake pans by coating with baking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add butter, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
4. Gently stir in cranberries.
5. Spread batter evenly between the three cake pan.
6. Bake 35-40 minutes.
7. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
White Chocolate Icing
1. Place white chocolate chips in a metal bowl.
2. Microwave heavy cream until it starts to boil. Remove from microwave and pour over chocolate chips.
3. Cover bowl with saran wrap for 5-7 minutes.
4. Whisk chocolate and cream until smooth.
5. Allow ganache to sit until mostly cool. It should be thick.
6. Beat the ganache with a mixer for about 2-3 minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
7. Add butter and beat until it is fully combined. Add in red food coloring to create pink frosting
8. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until it is fluffy and the right consistency. Add more cream if needed. Add more food coloring to reach desired color.
To put the cake together:
1. Remove cake domes from cakes with a large serrated knife.
2. Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Spread about icing on top in an even layer.
3. Add second layer of cake and add more icing on top in an even layer.
4. Add final layer of cake on top and ice the outside of the cake.