Every Christmas Eve we kick things off with shrimp cocktail, and champagne of course! This is a fool-proof cocktail sauce that has the perfect combination of tang (horseradish) and twist (lemon). If you are looking for a last-minute easy and elegant appetizer look no further!
Follow this easy recipe below, or purchase pre-made cocktail sauce and jazz up the presentation with this beautiful Anthropologie Enchante Wine Coupe. It's all about presentation!
5 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh parsley
2 bay leaves
1 onion, quartered
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 cup white wine
2 cups water
1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco
1 pound deveined, shell-on jumbo shrimp
½ cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
½ teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon Chipotle Tabasco
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large pot, combine the thyme, parsley, bay leaves, onion, salt, peppercorns, wine, and water.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from each half into the pot of wine mixture. Throw the lemon halves into the pot as well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes to infuse the mixture.
- Remove the lemon halves and add the Tabasco and the shrimp.
- Prepare an ice bath for the shrimp. Simmer the shrimp over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the water and place in the ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Drain the shrimp. Remove the shells and place on a platter.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chili sauce, horseradish , lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and salt.
- Serve the sauce with the chilled shrimp.