It’s cream cheese to the rescue, once again! These cake mix squares have a magic all their own thanks to the fluffy combination of cake mix and cream cheese. I used yellow cake mix here, but feel free to substitute it for chocolate if you’re in the mood!
Yield: 24 squares
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 (15.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- Eggs (quantity according to yellow cake mix package directions)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely chopped almonds or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In an electric mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix, eggs (quantity according to cake mix package), and light brown sugar on medium until well mixed. Add the melted butter and beat for 1 minute. Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside. Place the remaining mixture into the prepared pan and press to cover the bottom and slightly up the sides of the pan. Bake for 8 minutes–the mixture will not be brown at this point, but it will be puffy.
- In the same mixer, combine the cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl once. When the crust comes out of the oven, pour the cream cheese mixture over it and spread to the edges. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture and chopped nuts and bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
- Store the bars in the refrigerator, lightly covered.