You’ll know you’ve struck gold as soon as you take a bite out of these decadent cookie bars. The cream cheese makes these sweets so addicting. They’re named “Texas Gold Bars” because their golden hue looks like something right out of the Wild West!
Yield: 24 bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 16 ounces confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Using a stand mixer, combine the lemon cake mix, 8 tablespoons of the melted unsalted butter, and 1 of the eggs. Mix until a consistency of cookie dough is reached.
- Press into the bottom of the baking dish in an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs, 8 tablespoons of melted butter, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, scraping the bowl down as you go and mixing until light and fluffy.
- Pour the mixture over the cake base.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes until the top is lightly golden and the crust is starting to crack.
- Cool and cut into bars.