Sneak a little health in a lotta cheese! JK, not too much cheese! Try this sweet potato mac and cheese, a delicious dinner for the entire family! Chop it up for Cooper, add chicken for Alex, it is a delicious fall feeling dinner that will last all week! No really, it will feed Cooper for a few days and that is fantastic, amiright moms and dads that cook for their kids?!
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces whole wheat elbow noodles
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups shredded mild or sharp cheddar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Position a rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Coat a 2-quart broiler-safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Whisk milk and flour a large saucepan over medium heat, whisking frequently, until steaming and hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat.
- As soon as the sweet potato is cool enough to handle, cut open and scoop the flesh into the steaming milk.
- Add cheese, mustard, salt and pepper and stir until the cheese melts.
- Pour into blender and blend on high. Be careful when blending hot liquid! Try this blender by Hamilton Beach!
- 1Add the pasta and stir to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Mac and cheese is totally ready to eat! So you can skip putting it in the oven with breadcrumbs if you want.
- Combine breadcrumbs and oil and sprinkle on the pasta.
- Broil on the upper rack until the top is lightly browned and crispy, 1 to 2 minutes.